Dollars and Jens
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
 
Rare Gems
I'm going through some of my old stuff, and I found a copy of Timberline Software's annual report for 2000. Timberline was subsequently purchased by a private company, so this report is not only old, it's for a company that is no longer publicly traded. I should probably get rid of it. But I don't think I will.

The thing is, 2000 was a bad year for Timberline. The report opens by quoting the closing words of the 1999 report: "Two Thousand. It looks to be a most exciting year for Timberline." Later, they quote Groucho Marx: "I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." That might suggest that the report is unserious, and it isn't - there's no sense of "we have your money, stupid investor, and you can't do anything about it; neener, neener." But it's not humorless, and definitely not weaselly. To be fair, it might have been even more fun to watch them try to spin their way out of it, but I enjoyed the forthrightness of the report. I think I'll keep it a bit longer.


Powered by Blogger