Dollars and Jens
Thursday, April 15, 2010
 
renting vs. owning
A calculator telling whether owning or renting is cheaper. That they don't ask how far short of your standard deduction your other itemizable deductions fall indicates they're guessing at that; I hope their guess isn't "0".

If I were ambitious and a bit more technically savvy, I would produce something like this for the web that would generate 2-D diagrams with critical lines on them, such that you could look at a graph of break-even rent vs. price appreciation and the like. Actually, I think I have an excel spreadsheet online somewhere; if you have excel on your computer and want to try playing around with this, it's not as fully functional as the other calculator, but it might have its own charms. (Or not. I'm not on a computer with excel at the moment.)


Powered by Blogger